Organisations are dependent on their employees. Consequently, their recruitment and selection require careful management.
The Human Resources function is concerned with the following:
- Recruitment and selection. Ensuring that the right people are recruited to the right jobs.
- Training and development. Enabling employees to carry out their responsibilities effectively and make use of their potential.
- Employee relations. Including negotiations over pay and conditions.
- Grievance procedures and disciplinary matters. Dealing with complaints from employees or from the employer.
- Health and Safety matters Making sure employees work in a healthy and safe environment.
- Redundancy procedures Administering a proper system that is seen to be fair to all concerned when deciding on redundancies and agreeing redundancy payments.